Thursday, November 8, 2012

Teen Summer Reading 2013 "Beneath the Surface"??

So I really took some time today to look at and really brainstorm about the chosen theme for the teen summer reading program in 2013 - "Beneath the Surface". I'm having a hard time grasping what the theme and the provided illustrations are about. I usually use the theme provided and am able to be creative with it - but I'm finding this one very, very hard (considering maybe choosing my own theme?). I see in the poster art there is: a spaceship, futuristic world, flying horse, excalibur, fish, a helicopter, men reppelling from the bridge and a book with a woman emerging into the sparkly misty-ness.

So where to go from there? Space? Unicorns? King Arthur? Helicopters??? What to do?

So not sure I really like the chosen theme, I tried to consider other possible themes that could have some potential:
Some other options thought might be possible:

"Underground" - London Underground Theme (subways, mind the gap, etc.) Decorationg will be great, but where to take this with programming without everything being London related?? But maybe with more brainstorming, it could happen.




"Groundbreaking READS" - Using the adult summer reading theme, and turning into a teen-focused theme = ZOMBIES. Hand breaking from ground? ZOMBIES. Graves. Underground. Death. Bones. Underworld. Possibly could work?







"Spelunking/Caving" - Some sort of caving, rock climbing, earthy theme. Don't have a catchy name for it yet... I know there are traveling rock climbing walls....








Still brainstorming! I would love to hear other thoughts on the "teen theme" and if anyone else has any great teen ideas!!

11 comments:

Hannah said...

What came to mind for me was some kind of fantasy-dystopian world living underground? However, I am a little concerned with the strange assortment of characters on the material as well.

Abby said...

We just had a training with our state library's youth consultant and she talked about some ideas for the teen theme:

- Beneath the surface, like being introspective, so making journals, art, yoga, meditation, etc.

- Beneath the surface like underground cultures (tagging, punk rock, goth, even otaku/anime/manga, or anything non-mainstream)

- Also: something with the ocean - mermaids, shipwrecks, etc.

Did you get the manual? I think some of the ideas she shared with us were from the manual.

Bibliophil85 said...

I'm using Beneath the Surface as my theme, but I'm taking it to mean something else, more like the potential in things. Our grand prize is digital cameras as sometimes cameras see more then we want and I'll be doing Smashbooks as one program for the teens to express themselves creatively. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do in terms of programming, maybe tie-dye, since my teens just really want to do that. Maybe I could see the potential in a white shirt and that could be a connection to the theme?? I might be stretching on that one. :)

picklespears said...

Not a fan of the teen poster. I also thought of zombies when I saw the adult poster. The movie "World War Z" is coming out June 2013. The teen zombie love story movie "Warm Bodies" is coming out in February.

Jen the Youth Services Librarian said...

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions!! Still not quite sure what I'm going to do yet! It sounds like everyone has great ideas. I'll let you know what I come up with! :-)

Clair C. said...

THe Compound is a fantastic YA that takes place underground. And so is City of Ember (though it may be a juvenile fiction in some libraries)

Samantha Hendzell said...

I thought the same thing when I saw this year's theme and merchandise. I just brought up themes at our Teen Advisory Board meeting this past Saturday and all my teens re-acted the same way. They didn't like or understand the teen theme. However, they absolutely loved the adult "Ground Breaking Reads" theme and poster so they're pushing me to go with that. They're really excited about turning it into a zombie, apocalypse, dystopian theme.

Duncan Long said...

I'm the illustrator that created the YA poster. I suspect you might be interested in the process of creating the poster and spin-off products, and might perhaps get a few more ideas for reading program books. So here's the specific blog posts: http://duncanlong.com/blog/?s=summer+reading

Vicky Dierker FBHC library said...

I am using a mixture of the adukt theme and the YA. I didn't really get the poster, but pintrests has some great ideas for crafts. I love the subculture idea and plan on using the movie Beautiful Creatures as an award movie. I am also doing a college night with the idea of getting beneath all the confusion of picking a college and getting financial aid.

Arielle Loy said...

I feel the same way about "Beneath the Surface." At my library we're skipping the logo altogether. We're decorating with underground, dirt, plants, roots, gravestones, bones, worms, etc...and the programs are just going to be fun!

Jeanne said...

It is a weird theme! One of our activities is going to be dissecting owl poop...and putting the skeletons together. We're having a teacher come in to help with this. We're also having a program on undertaking--we have a funeral home across the street, so they are going to tour the home. I wanted to do zombies for the kick-off party, but we did zombies for at least one program last year, so...I was outvoted.

I thought decorating the department was the hardest. We went with "undersea" for the theme.