Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sign Language in Story Time

I have used simple signs in "Library Baby" story time - hungry, more, thirsty, etc. I really enjoyed using the signs with the babies and their parents. We would do two signs per week as something informative for them to take home and use if interested. I had experienced sign language in story time from a previous library I worked at, where the children's librarian there also incorporated signs into baby story time.

Today, I had a preschool visit and I tried for the first time to sign-a-story. We told "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" through key signs. We didn't do every word, but we signed all the animal words - bear, bird, duck, horse, etc. We also signed 'to see' and the word 'me.' I received very positive feedback from the parents and the preschool teacher who accompanied the preschoolers - they REALLY enjoyed the signs. I feel that this is something I would like to continue doing and get better at. I love how it makes the story more interactive, and we don't always need pictures. :-)

Does anyone know of any workshops offered or any classes (even online webinars) about sign language in story time? I would love to participate in something where I can learn more tricks and fun things to do with including signs in story time - and to also know that I am doing the signs correctly (I try to follow pictures and videos online as best I can). I will keep researching for other resources, but if anyone knows of something great I would love to hear about it!

6 comments:

Marge Loch-Wouters said...

There is a slideshare here with some ideas and resources: http://www.slideshare.net/ALATechSource/liven-up-baby-and-toddler-storytimes-with-sign-language-with-kathy-macmillan

She has written a book for ALA, Storytime and SignLanguage!

Marge Loch-Wouters said...

Check out this slide share by KAthy MacMillan. She wrote an ALA edition book Storytime and Sign Language. Have you seen it?

http://www.slideshare.net/ALATechSource/liven-up-baby-and-toddler-storytimes-with-sign-language-with-kathy-macmillan

Jen the Youth Services Librarian said...

I haven't seen this - it looks like great stuff! I'll have to look her for her book. Thanks so much for the info Marge! :-)

storytiming.com said...

2 things:
1)Baby Talk! here's an article/press release written by the director a few months ago:
http://www.babytalk.org/research-institute/entry/baby-talk-lapsits-empowering-librarians-for-early-childhood-leadership1

2) I've been experimenting with this lately too. Songs are my favorite way to work "signing" into storytime. In fact, I've just chosen 3-4 songs that I am going to put signs to. Once I've got them down, I'll share on my blog: www.storytiming.com

i hope you'll share what you learn from your experiments too! good luck!

catethelibrarian said...

2 things:
1)Baby Talk! here's an article/press release written by the director a few months ago:
http://www.babytalk.org/research-institute/entry/baby-talk-lapsits-empowering-librarians-for-early-childhood-leadership1

2) I've been experimenting with this lately too. Songs are my favorite way to work "signing" into storytime. In fact, I've just chosen 3-4 songs that I am going to put signs to. Once I've got them down, I'll share on my blog: www.storytiming.com

i hope you'll share what you learn from your experiments too! good luck!

Jen the Youth Services Librarian said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Singing during songs too is a great idea. I look forward to sharing anything that I try out! :-)