Saturday, April 30, 2011

Teen Live Clue @ Your Library


On Friday, May 13th ( Friday the 13th!!!) our library will be holding our second "Live Clue" @ the Library for teens grades 7-12. We ran our first Live Clue program in October of last year around Halloween - it was a big hit! All of our teens have been talking about it ever since and how much they loved it, so we thought - we HAVE to do this again!

I got the idea from the Young Adult Librarian I worked with at one of my previous libraries. She found out about Live Clue by reading library blogs and someone had posted their Live Clue event - so she tried it out!

Basically it is like playing the board game "Clue" but in the library moving from 'room' to 'room' (which in our case, because our library is so small, moving from the fiction to non-fiction, to young adult, to the reference desk, etc). We hold our program after hours, so play Live Clue in the dark library (we left the backroom lights on), and we pass out flashlights to each group of teens. We have 2-3 teens come an hour before to make body outlines on the floor using masking tape to mark each location, and they also hang caution tape all over the place.

We break the teens up into teams of 6 (as best we can, depending on numbers). We created cards with the usual suspects "Prof. Plum," "Mr. Green," etc., the usual weapons, and made room cards to go with the locations in the library. Each teen receives a folder with their 'clue cards' and a detective notebook so that can keep track of who they suspect. They travel from each area, taking turns to ask each player 'who they might suspect it to be' just like in the game 'Clue,' and the player will then show them their card if they have one.

Here's how our story goes....
Each of the clue characters has a secret: they’re very bad at returning library books on time. The Head Librarian has invited these six people to the library to discuss their long overdue books. Unbeknownst to her, each person would rather commit murder than return their books and has snuck a weapon into the library. Although everyone had murder on the brain, only one of them actually succeeded in killing the Head Librarian. Tonight you will become one of the Library Delinquents and it’s your job to find out who committed the crime, what weapon they used, and in what part of the library the murder occurred. Everyone’s a suspect, even you……

For timimg, we held our first Live Clue from 5:30pm-7:30pm. We had a pizza party from 5:30pm-6:00pm, but made sure we got started 6pm so we had enough time to play a full game, possibly two. We had two full teams going around the library at one time - each starting in a different location so we really didn't cross paths very much. My team took the whole time to finish our game, the other team finished early so they were able to play a second game. It all depends on how the guessing goes and how far the players get on their clues.

As a 'prize' we gave the teen who guessed the mystery correctly on each team a huge candy bar or huge box of movie candy. Something fun for being our winning detective. :-)

If anyone would be interested in receiving a copy of the instructions, or any other information - let me know! It's such a popular program with teens, you can't go wrong. I've also heard that other libraries have done 'theme' Live Clues, such as Twilight! Then you could change the characters, and the 'rooms' and be a little more creative with it!

16 comments:

Miss Anna said...

I would definitely like some details about this! Especially interested in how many staff it would take to pull something like this off--it's just me unless I twist somebody's arm to help me :)

Cleoppa said...

Sounds awesome! I'd love to see your instructions and other info. Sounds like a program our teens would love. Can you get my e-mail address without me writing it here?

Corinne said...

You have the most incredible programs! I'm often checking your site for ideas :)

Dewey Dot said...

I Love this idea! It sounds like a lot of fun.

I would love a copy of the instructions and any more information you have. what's the best way to get it from you?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa said...

Hi, Jen! I would love more info about the Clue program! Thanks!

melissa.ramos@nashville.gov

Darlene said...

I'm planning a similar program this summer. I would love the instructions. Please email me at dottoda@oplin.org.

Miss Anna said...

Could you please send me any info. you have on the Clue event? I'm planning on playing it with my teens next Friday, and any tips not included in your post or documents would be appreciated! My email is akrueger at antigopl dot org.

Thanks!

Heather said...

Is it still possible to get instructions for this program?

Jen the Youth Services Librarian said...

Hi Everyone! I'm so sorry I never received any of your comments! My notification or something must not have been working! So I really apologize! If you are still interested in receiving the instructions for Live Clue - you can email me at grnd.ref@mcfls.org.
THANKS!

Pre-School Librarian said...

I would love instructions!
Sounds sooo fun!
can you send instructions to
teri@butlerpubliclibrary.net/

Anonymous said...

Hi I just came upon this via pinterest! Way excited to try it out for my teens! Can you send me the instructions and other info? emcclimon@waverly.lib.ia.us Much appreciated

Anonymous said...

I run an afterschool program and I think the kids would love this. Please send me your information at ksbooth@goldenwest.net.

Thank you so much! Looking forward to it.

Rachael Theriault said...

Just stumbled across this through Pinterest (the wonders of social media) and I would love to get a set of instructions to pitch this idea of the young adult library. It sounds like something she would really enjoy doing. If you could please send me a copy to rtheriault at MVLC.org? I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Michelle said...

This sounds like so much fun. We have been wanting to do this at our library. I would love more info. Thanks!
meeshalay18@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi I just came upon your post and love this idea. We are trying to put together a Clue Activity at our library and i would love to get the instructions and information you have. Thanks!

meeshalay18@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hello! I would love to get more information that you have for your live Clue. it sounds so fun!

bgoodman at slcolibrary dot org